Find the first half of this list here!
- Church services. This may seem like an obvious one, but it’s surely one of the most essential on this list. How often, that day you attend, does Holy Spirit breathe on a certain song sung, or a certain verse the preacher mentions? I have many times found that He will preach a whole separate message to me, in addition to whatever the pastor is expounding on. He is always, always moving, and this happens in an extra special way in the corporate setting.
- Podcasts. I often will pick a preacher with an extra gentle spirit (Bill Johnson is one of my favorites), and put on his latest message as I am lying down to sleep. This helps to settle my busy mind into relaxation, as it redirects my scattered thoughts into one, gracious flow. I usually don’t get through the whole message before dropping off to sleep. So the next night I’ll find where I left off, and drift off again. Many times, Holy Spirit will speak one last thing to my heart right before I fall asleep, through the podcast. What a wonderful way to set the tone for a night’s sleep full of His presence!
- Dreams. Holy Spirit loves to speak through our dreams. If a dream is particularly vivid to you upon waking, it very well might have a spiritual meaning. I’d encourage you to read up on Biblical dream interpretation. It very well might be that He is trying to get a message to you during your sleep!
- Journaling. It never fails. As soon as I start writing down whatever He’s been whispering to me through any of the above means, the flow opens. He gets excited that I’m paying special attention to His messages, and He starts speaking more. I always end up with an expanded version of whatever He had started to show me, as the entry unfolds. “For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance” (Matt. 13:12, ESV). I would highly recommend trying this out, if you haven’t already.
- Conversations with friends. Just the other day, I was on the phone with a dear friend. She mentioned a Scripture that has been speaking to her recently, and Holy Spirit immediately lit up that same Scripture for me. It’s what I needed to hear that day. And she didn’t even mean to encourage me – she was just reporting in on her own journey. Oftentimes, Holy Spirit will spark something in your heart as you fellowship with other believers, without it even being intentional. Just keep listening, and paying close attention to His whispers!
- Kids’ remarks. My children say the most amazing things sometimes. There was a moment when I was being attacked by fear of the future. My daughter walked into the room right then, and out of the blue said, “There is no fear in love. Perfect love casts out fear.” I asked her why she said that, and she replied, matter-of-fact, “It just came into my mind.” I showed her that those words are written in the Bible, and she was actually disappointed. She explained, “I thought I invented it!”
- In your own train of thought. You are thinking along, and suddenly, an uplifting thought slips in that has a subtle, “otherly” feel to it. You wonder, could that be God? It probably is. Very frequently, He simply interjects His messages into our own thoughts. Again, try journaling it, and see what comes of it. You just may be pleasantly surprised at how much of a heavenly download comes to you.
- When you lay your questions to one side and just worship. This is my personal favorite. As I focus the gaze of my inner eyes on Jesus’ beauty, my heart rises up in faith. Exalting Him with all the intensity of my being causes my spirit to soar… and it’s in that soaring place where I hear Him the most clearly. I often find that without me even asking, He is already answering my questions. Cultivating a lifestyle of worship is a surefire way to make sure you hear from Daddy on a regular basis.
- So many, many more! An infinite God has an infinite number of ways to speak to us. He never runs out of new approaches to creative communication with me that provoke my heart to amazement. He has something to say to you today, my dear friend… are you listening?
What else would you add to this list? What is the most surprising way God has ever spoken to you?