“If you ask anything in My name, I will do it” (John 14:14, NKJV).
We are accustomed to ending our prayers with the expression, “In Jesus’ name, Amen” — as well we should! However, have you ever thought about using some of His other names in the context of your prayers? Each one of them opens up to us a specific characteristic of His beautiful nature. As such, they can aid us poignantly as we lift our petitions to Him. Here are several examples, for your consideration:
In Isaiah 9:6, we find quite a few of His names – “And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (NKJV). Based on these, we can pray:
- “In the name of the Wonderful One, I ask that You would inundate my spirit with the awe and wonder of who You are!”
- “In the name of the Counselor, please satiate my heart with Your wisdom about this humanly impossible matter that is perplexing me right now.”
- “In the name of the Mighty God, show me Your unlimited power at work in this situation!”
- “In the name of the Everlasting Father, pour into the very core of me the Spirit of adoption! Reveal to my heart of hearts how permanently I belong to you!”
- “In the name of the Prince of Peace, would you invade this chaos with that overwhelming shalom of Yours that vanquishes all my fears? Would you wrap around my heart and mind with Your peace that transcends all my understanding?”
Our Lord has shared hundreds of His names with us in the Scriptures. At their inspiration, I could go on and on pouring out prayers, but here are just a few more:
- “He… will be called the Son of the Highest” (Luke 1:32, NKJV). “In the name of the Son of the Highest, I’m asking that You would manifest Your supreme authority here! YOU are the highest One in this universe! Everything and everyone else is underneath Your rule! YOUR name is above every other name! Subject Your foes beneath Your feet! Lead me into Your triumph!”
- “…The Dayspring from on high has visited us” (Luke 1:78b, NKJV). “You are the dawning of my new day! You turn my oppression into freedom, my darkness into light, my mourning into dancing! You are the brilliant radiance of my inner life! In the name of the Dayspring, illuminate my spirit with Your prevailing truth! Cause the glorious light of Your countenance to shine in all the depths of me!”
- “I am the Good Shepherd” (John 10:11a, AMPC). “Thank You, Jesus, for laying down Your life in ultimate sacrifice for me. Thank You for Your indescribable, exceedingly great love for me. For the sake of Your name, my Good Shepherd, lead me in paths of righteousness – along the way You know is best for me. Make me lie down in green pastures today. Gentle Savior, I need to feel You anointing my head with Your healing oil. Bring me besides Your quiet, comforting waters. Please restore my soul. I entrust myself to You, the One who loves me the most and calls me by my very own name.”
You get the idea! Now it’s your turn. What other of His names can you invoke as You draw near to Him?
Which one of the Lord’s names speaks to the specific need you have today?